All the miles of a hard road are worth a
moment of true happiness.


Friday, June 19, 2009

Home sweet home!


Thomas and I are back from our exhausting trip to Oklahoma. We spent seven days with my family and probably 3 days too long. Its so hard being away from your own nest, and trying to live quietly with others. Especially others who are not use to the noise of an almost three year old. We took this trip with the main intention of visiting my grandmother who is in the later stages of Alzheimer's. My parents have been telling me we need to get back there before she was completely lost to her disease. My grandma recognized me and would call us be our names. She repeats herself quit a bit. She also has lost all interest in eating it seems. Alzheimer's is a nasty disease that not only makes you lose your mind but in the end your body as well. Some how your brain forgets how your body is suppose to function, eating, using the bathroom and so on.

My mom and dad have just moved back to Oklahoma after two decades. They bought a quaint A-frame house on twelve acres over looking a lake. It was so much fun for Thomas exploring nature and being free from city life and all its constraints. My dad gave him a ride on his bull dozer, he played around on a dump truck and a backhoe front loader. He captained a landlocked boat and spent hours traipsing threw the wooded land around my parents home. More firsts for Thomas include learning to fish, holding a turtle, frog and trying to capture a real tarantula!

Thomas spent several days surrounded by all of his extended family. My fathers entire family lives in the same town. Cousins, aunts, uncles, grand parents, great grand parents, you name it and they live there. My sweet cousin held a BBQ at her home in the country. They have a pool and Thomas loved every second swimming in it. Their pool has a slide and a diving board. Thomas noticed the slide right a way and went down it and down it and down it. This boy has NO fear!

My mother spent countless hours with my guy playing with or in anything his little heart desired. The day before we left Thomas called his dad and told him he didn't want to leave Nannies house. It was bitter sweet. For me, the trip was a little too long. I thrive in my own space and wilt when I am away. I hate worrying about how much noise we are making and weather or not we are bothering people so it was definitely time to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment