All the miles of a hard road are worth a
moment of true happiness.


Saturday, June 6, 2009

Xylitol update...

This morning I baked muffins using xylitol instead of sugar. This was my first time using this sweetener. The muffins browned a lot faster then normal. I almost didn't pull them out in time. I was eager to try them and hoping they tasted great. I only ate one muffin and the verdict is in. I do NOT recommend xylitol. The back of my mouth and down in my throat is still mildly burning. There is not a big after taste but if I smack my tongue to the roof of my mouth I can taste it. The biggest effect is the burning sensation.

One other point I should share is this... I originally learned about xylitol from the GreenSmoothieGirl, I thought she said it was a best choice for sweetening foods. After I baked this morning I returned to her site and saw that I had inverted her best and worst sweetener. She actually said xylitol was not a good sweetener because it is overly processed. I did find so much positive info on line about xylitol that I really hoped it would work out well. But that dang burning sensation is not sitting well with me. Here is a link to her video on youtube about sweeteners: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU0yKpsIFs0

I plan on trying to return this to Whole Foods because it was not cheap. At seventeen dollars for a small two pound container it was not worth it. Keep your fingers crossed for me that they take it back. Whole Foods has taken back an opened bottle of children's vitamins once, so I am guessing they will do they same for this.

I loved the idea of using a sweetener in my baking that wouldn't effect our insulin levels. But I am sure there are healthier options out there. I think I will stick to experimenting with fruit, honey and occasionally Agave as a replacement to refined white sugar. There isn't anything I enjoy more then playing around in the kitchen so I am not going to let this knock me off my horse!

No comments:

Post a Comment