All the miles of a hard road are worth a
moment of true happiness.


Monday, November 9, 2009

Celebrating fall and Martinmas




Fall has seemed at arms reach for quit some time. Living in the desert gives seasons a whole new definition. As in we have 2.5 seasons: Hell seems cold- HOT, Cold (for a couple weeks) and then everything in between, which seems to be mostly WIND!

Yesterday Thomas, Winston (our dog) and I spent the late afternoon at a park. It was absolutely perfect outside for Thomas to ride his Skuut (wooden bike) around. As we were wondering around the park the flame intense colors of the trees really popped out. Brilliant reds, fiery oranges and citrus shades of yellow. Thats when I nodded my head and agreed with myself that Fall was FINALLY in Vegas!

A few weeks back when my friends around the states were headed to the apple orchards I was feeling slighted. Walking down the rows of apple trees when it is still in the 90's just didn't give me that fuzzy fall feeling deep down in my soul.

Martinmas is coming up in just a few days. It may prove to be my favorite of the obscure holidays. Something about making lanterns and watching my little guys face glow from the little flame as we walk around our neighborhood that makes me feel extra warm.

So if you are new to Martinmas here is a little description from the book All Year Round. The traditional way of celebrating Martinmas is with lantern walks or processions accompanied by singing. St. Martin recognized the divine spark in the poor man of Ameins, and gave it the protection of his own cloak. When we make a paper lantern, we, too, may feel that we are giving protection to our own little 'flame' that was beginning to shine at Michaelmas, so that we may carry it safely through the dark world. It may only be a small and fragile light-but every light brings relief to the darkness.

I would love to hear some songs that people sing while doing their lantern walks. I am not sure what kind of singing we will be doing...if any! But you never know!!! Never the less Fall is finally here.

4 comments:

  1. I was suppose to join the German group this past Saturday for the lantern march....Julian was too sick though. St.Martin's day has to be one of my most favorite memories of my childhood. We would make the lanterns typically in our kindergarden (which in Germany runs from about the age of 2 til 5). And typically the marches where also organized by the kindergardens or local churches. I even once played the beggar in a church play. Usually "St.Martin" leads the procession high up on horse back (always my favorite part...I was sooo jelous), the kids sing and at the end of the procession, there is hot cacoa and a special kind of pastry that everyone enjoys.

    Typical songs we sing are:

    "I am walking with my lantern, and my lantern with me. Above the stars are glowing, down here are glowing we. My light is out, I'm going home...rabimel rabamel rambum <--- which is just some made up words."

    "lantern, lantern, sun, moon and stars'
    light up my light, light up my light,
    but not my dear lantern"

    There's also another one about St.Martin and the pleasure of sharing with the poor. But unfortunately I don't have time rightnow to translate that and the online translator does an even worse job than me *lol*

    What I just always wonder is...why stuff like this is considered Waldorf!? really, it makes me shake my head all the time when I see things being sold as Waldorf, when they are just typical things in other countries. It's kinda like saying certain chinese traditions are Montessori. If you understand what I mean *lol*


    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a video of how our Martin's processions usually look like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjhpvoLZ-Hc

    ReplyDelete
  3. and here is a very typical play they make in the kindergarden to this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIswqgVpErk&feature=related
    So...now I REALLY need to take a shower lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the songs and the info! I am not sure why it is considered Waldorf, I just referred to it as "obscure" and by that I mean its not the norm here in the sates. I did learn about it through a book that was recommended to me through Waldorf mamas. I guess (only a guess) because Waldorf has such strong ties to Germany they take on lots of your holidays and traditions, and some how along the way German gets taken out and Waldorf gets put in...I don't know, just my guess. Interesting thoughts...

    I have heeded yours and Lisa's thoughts about Waldorf, I take from it what I like and leave the weird stuff alone. I take a lot from other concepts as well. I am not pushing any thing right now, mostly interested in healthy lifestyle and getting back to basics. But I am a sucker for any thing that can be celebrated... I know you are busy these days crafting and enjoying two wee ones. I am so excited for you that Horacio is coming home for good!!! It will be interesting to see where you guys end up.

    ReplyDelete