All the miles of a hard road are worth a
moment of true happiness.


Thursday, June 4, 2009

Xylitol


I know it sounds like a nasty chemical but its definitely not! Xylitol is as straight from nature as you can get. In fact our bodies natural produce xylitol. Which means your body can easily digest and utilize xylitol. Now if you have read this far and have no idea what it is I am talking about then let me tell you.


Xylitol is a natural sweetener. It can be used 1 for 1 in baking. In other words if your recipe calls for 1/2 a cup of sugar you can use 1/2 cup of xylitol in its place. It is considered low-glycemic and contains 40 percent fewer calories then sugar.


Oh, did I mention it is GREAT for our teeth? Most sugar is associated with tooth decay but xylitol actually helps prevent decay and can help restore damaged teeth. Now I could go on and on about how it works but I am just learning for myself and I don't want to put down a bunch of inaccurate information. So basically what I know is that xylitol some how creates more saliva in our mouths as well it inhibits the growth of bacteria in our mouths and on our teeth.


I have also read several articles that say Xylitol helps prevent acute middle ear infections in young children, when consumed regularly. Note that if the infection has already begun then it will not help to start using xylitol for that immediate ear infection. But no time like the present to start using this amazing sweetener in your daily life.


So the bottom line is this. If you are trying to take white sugar out of your diet for any reason, then Xylitol is a great replacement. If you or a loved one is diabetic Xylitol is 100% safe, and can bring sweets back into your or their lives. Its great for our teeth, so chewing gum made of xyltiol is tasty way to help prevent tooth decay. If your sweet little one has a history of ear infections then xylitol should be incorporated into their diets, to help slow the occurrence of infections.


I am so excited to have discovered the health benefits of xylitol, I hope I have inspired you to make the switch from regular white sugar to xylitol! If you don't believe me check it out for your self. And if you do believe me go ahead and research it more so you will be armed with all the info to pass it on to others in your life!


One last note (I promise,) do NOT give xylitol to animals. I am not sure why anyone would feed their furr babies sugar or any other sweetener but in case you normal do, do Not with xylitol. Its not safe for animals. But do be aware that it is absolutely, fantastically safe for humans!!!

2 comments:

  1. Happy to hear about this...I think I may have even tried this one time at the health store when I went in looking for stevia. Diabetes is a nasty disease running rampantly in my family. I want to cut out white sugar as much as I can...I have switched to maple syrup and brown sugar and honey...but love carrying little packets of stevia in my purse to sweeten water. I am not a fan of the artificial sweetners and all the controversy surrounding them...thanks for this info. Have fun blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! LOVE the template you have choosen!
    I will look into the subject a little deeper..but it kinda seems a little weird that it's not safe for animals. Hm?

    ReplyDelete