All the miles of a hard road are worth a
moment of true happiness.


Saturday, July 18, 2009

Freezing spinach

We really love our green smoothies around here. They give us so much energy and they taste great. My only dilemma is that we never seem to make it threw the three pound container of organic spinach I buy from Costco. Its such a great deal at only four dollars, I cant resist buying it. Sadly I always end up throwing some away.
So I had the idea of liquefying my spinach and freezing it. Why not? This way we can throw a cube or two into our smoothies and I don't have to worry about it going bad or taking up so much space in the fridge.

It took full blenders and a little water to use all the spinach. Its amazing how little liquid you can get from so many bulky spinach leaves.


After blending I just poured the liquid into the ice cube trays. Once they are frozen I will transfer them to an airtight container.

My problem was were would I put the ice cube trays? Yesterday I went to Costco, can you tell that I splurged?

Aww, a spot on top of some bread. Yeah, no more wasted spinach!!! Why didn't I think of this sooner?

1 comment:

  1. That's how I've made and now make again baby food. I just blend organic veggies that I have cooked, fill it in the ice cube trays and later in ziplock bags. When Oliver eats I just heat up 2-3 different cubes (like a carrot one with a brocoli/potatoe one) in the microwave and done..so easy. I should do that with the spinach for smoothies..had the same problem as u, but just never thought of doing the ice cube thing for that as well

    ReplyDelete