All the miles of a hard road are worth a
moment of true happiness.


Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Starting new traditions

I love the idea of having family traditions, things that Thomas will recall from his childhood and hopefully pass on to his own family someday. I was talking with my mom about traditions she recalled from her childhood. She said every Sunday her mom would make coffee cake for breakfast followed by a mid after noon family dinner. So using the exact same recipe my grandmother used I made coffee cake for my family Sunday morning.

I have always hated that our beautiful china sits in the pantry zipped away in cases all year round. Why even bother owning something so nice if you only get to see it (maybe) once a year. So now every Sunday I will carefully bring down our china and iron our nice table cloth and napkins. This will be a great way to welcome a new week.

This meal turned out super delicious. I tried something new: coca cola! I added a can of cola to the crock pot roast and it was the moistest roast I have ever turned out.

Thomas loves carrots and potatoes from the crock pot. He also loved drinking from the tall glasses. This meal and new tradition was a big hit!



For dessert I made Amish bread pudding. If I only ever pass on one recipe, this should be the one! I have never had such heavenly sweetness in my whole life...bless the Amish!!!

Here is the link if you would like to try it: http://www.momswhothink.com/easy-recipes/bread-pudding-recipe.html I used half and half for the pudding and the sauce. I omitted the raisins. Enjoy and happy traditions to you and your family!!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice! We are getting ready to totally rearrange our house (again!) and this is something I want to start doing.. setting the table, making it look pretty, sitting down for a nice slow dinner..

    ReplyDelete