All the miles of a hard road are worth a
moment of true happiness.


Monday, July 6, 2009

Stoneware pottery




Two days ago Thomas and I went thrift store shopping. I have a long list of things that if I ever come across at the thrift store (and for a reasonable price) I will buy. There only seems to be one descent thrift store around here and it is a Savers store. They have an enormous collection of children's books for only .69 cents each. I always seem to score big when I am looking for new books. I actually found Shel Silverstein's The Missing Piece there! They also have so much more. This time I was ready to find some great things to add around the house for Thomas. After reading some more online about Montessori I wanted to find some pictures, mirrors and esp. some child size mugs and breakables. I found the mirror and several mugs that were the perfect size for Thomas' little hands.




I stumbled upon this pretty green, earthy looking clay tea pot with lid. So I decided I would get that for him along with any little mugs I could find that would match closely enough in color and texture. Which is how I discovered the thing I am going to start collecting... Stoneware pottery!




Stoneware pottery looks beautiful. Its very natural and organic feeling. The three mugs I found are all different patterns and sizes but go together beautifully, more beautifully then a perfectly matched set. I wouldn't want any two alike! I am going to keep my eye out any time I am at the thrift store for new pieces to go with this collection. I will be looking for plates and bowls as well. But I am guessing those will be harder to find. Who doesn't like a treasure hunt?




I don't plan on keeping these mugs for myself. In fact one has most definitely been claimed by Thomas, although they are all for him. Its the tiniest one, that I am guessing was intended to be an espresso mug. He is so proud of him self drinking from it like a grown up, yet knowing it fits him most perfectly!




So now out with the old and in with...well...the old!

No comments:

Post a Comment