All the miles of a hard road are worth a
moment of true happiness.


Saturday, July 4, 2009

Toddler design

You might wonder what it is like living with a toddler, but have you ever considered what a toddler would say it is like living with a couple adults? I am really starting to focus on Thomas' perspective and what it must feel like to be three feet tall,have limited speech and have virtually no control over his own life.

I love how people come into your life and plant seeds of inspiration. I have had the joy over Thomas' little life of meeting some great mommies who have introduced me to different types of education and child rearing philosophies. When Thomas was little the focus was on attachment parenting and although that is still how we parent I am thrilled to move onto the next phase and bring in a Waldorf and Montessori approach to teaching and parenting our little guy.

I wanted to share photos of the areas in our home that are dedicated to Thomas.
This is a picture of a nook next to Thomas' play room that I have dedicated as his nature zone. There is a basket full of pine cones we collected on a nature walk, a stick Thomas found and LOVED and a bird house. We will add to this as time goes on.

Here you can see his Art easel/hat rack, book shelf and table with chairs.

Here is a few inside his closet. I transformed an old shoe holder and sweater holder into a place to keep toys. This is where most of his plastic and older toys live.


On the other side of the closet is his dress up zone. I have hung his costumes on nice wooden hangers and placed gloves, goggles and other small accessories into a small basket. On the wall next to the closet is a small mirror. I hope to get a full size mirror for him down the road.




Here is a clip board with paper and pen I hung near the door, in case Thomas has sudden inspiration on his way in or out. Maybe he will leave me a sweet message. Recently he drew me a circle and told me its name is Patrick (daddy's name)

Here is another shot of his book shelf, I have all his wooden puzzles and thinking toys on the bottom two shelves. The books and CD player are slightly higher. He can easily access all the items.



Here is our comfy reading rocker...need I say more.


Thomas is no longer interested in building trains on the table, he prefers to do that on the floor in the living room. So I flipped the train table top over to the plain white side and he uses it as part of his kitchen. He has a carton of wooden eggs, an old glass milk jug, some bamboo spoons, glass salt and pepper Shaker and some other odds and ends. Next to the table is his new- to him (bought off craigslist) kitchen. Hours of fun!

In the living room we have given him an area on the end table to keep his books. I hope to add a bean bag chair in this area soon.


Here is his wooden balance bike, we let him cruise through the house on it. A favorite toy of Thomas.


My pictures are not in order, so here is a close up of his nature zone.


As you can see I hung a mirror at Thomas' eye level. How special he must feel now that things are down on his level! I just caught him making silly faces in it tonight.


Here he is sporting a new short hair cut for summer, dressed like a skunk playing in his kitchen.


Skunk boy pretending to cracking an egg into his creation.

These are faux stained glass that we (more me then we, really) made to make our windows a little prettier.


More prettiness....



I found a neat clay tea pot and several clay and glass mugs at the thrift store. We want to encourage Thomas to use breakable everyday items, rather then stifle his growth. This will hopefully teach him, patients, tenderness and appreciation for the items we own.


Yesterday he wanted to drink and eat from bowls on the floor like a doggie and today he wanted to drink like a little gentle man. How sweet, and ever changing!


Thomas will be three in exactly one month! What a sweetie pie! I have to add my new favorite website as a link on here, I hope if you have time that you will check it out... http://mommylife.net/archives/montessori/ A special thanks to Tiffany for telling me about this site and encouragement to learn more about Montessori, and to Lisa for your constant Waldorf inspirations. Also to Angela who is always inspiring me with your craftyness


















No comments:

Post a Comment